Oral Surgery & Extractions
Oak Park Dental Group offers expert diagnostics and treatment for a variety of oral health conditions that require surgical intervention. Should you need a tooth extraction, or have a condition that cannot be remedied by less invasive procedures, we have the oral surgery services to help. Our dentists work closely with patients to inform them of every available treatment option and create a plan that they can be comfortable with.
Easing your discomfort and restoring your oral health is of upmost importance to us. To create the treatment plan that is best for you, we recommend that you first schedule a consultation appointment with us. Every patient is different, and we will evaluate your symptoms to determine your options. Some treatments that we may recommend include:
- Tooth Extractions (Impacted Teeth / Wisdom Teeth) – This is the most common form of oral surgery, and essentially consists of removing a tooth from its socket in the bone. This procedure is typically required due to severe damage or overcrowding. Wisdom tooth extractions also quite common.
- Dental Implants – Titanium teeth implants can remedy missing or severely damaged teeth. They fuse to the bone and are covered with a prosthetic tooth, which allows them to look and act as healthy, permanent teeth.
- Bone Grafting – This procedure is often used if the jaw is not sturdy enough to sustain dental implants. The surgeon will take special bone grafting material and implant it onto the bone that requires treatment. Over time, this will strengthen the bone.
- Corrective Jaw (Orthognathic) Surgery – This procedure is beneficial to patients who may be coping with dental or skeletal irregularities, including misaligned jaw.
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) or Facial Pain, Facial Reconstruction – These procedures focus on the joint that connects the jaw to the skull, and can remedy damages or injuries to the joint.
- Apicoectomy – After a root canal procedure, there can be risk of infection. This treatment will remove any infected root tissue.
- Sleep Apnea Treatment – For those who suffer from sleep apnea, or obstructed breathing in sleep, we offer upper airway treatments that can help.
As one of the most common oral surgery procedures, there are a number of reasons why your dentist may recommend this treatment. For example, you may require a tooth extraction if you suffer from any of the following symptoms:
- Severely damaged teeth
- Overcrowding/misaligned teeth
- Impacted teeth, or teeth that have grown to overlap one another
- Wisdom teeth with anticipated issues
- Rotten or loose teeth
During a tooth extraction, your dentist will utilize a local anesthetic or general anesthetic through an IV (depending on the location of the tooth) to eliminate any possibility of pain. Then, your dentist will simply pull the tooth out, or break it apart for extraction. If it is recommended by your dentist to get a tooth extraction, it is critical that you schedule the appointment immediately to avoid the risk of severe health problems or infection.
If you would like to explore your options regarding your surgical needs, or have been referred to us by another dentist or physician, call Oak Park Dental Group today to schedule your consultation.