Are you ready to transform your smile? We have the technology and experienced group of dentists with years of experience ready to help. Our skilled Oak Park Orthodontics have the capacity to diagnose and treat even the most severe cases of bite and alignment issues in our patients. We’ll give you the treatment and care you need to straighten your smile and improve your health.
While the boost in confidence for having a great smile is an obvious perk to getting traditional braces, there are a number of health benefits you can expect as well. Misaligned teeth are more difficult to clean properly, which increases your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Also, issues with your bite can create unnecessary tension in your jaw, leading to headaches, neck and shoulder pain, and TMJ syndrome. By straightening your teeth and bite, we can greatly reduce the risk of these issues and keep you in good oral health.
So how do you know if you need orthodontic treatment? Working with your dentist at Oak Park Dental Group is the only way to know for certain if braces are right for you. However, you may be a good candidate for braces if you have any of the following issues:
- Overbite – when your upper row of teeth protrude beyond your lower teeth
- Underbite – the bottom row of teeth protrude beyond the upper teeth
- Misplaced midline – when the center of your top and bottom row’s of teeth are misaligned
- Open bite – if the biting surfaces don’t connect completely and leave an open space
- Crossbite – when the bite is not completely aligned so that the upper teeth fall directly over the bottom teeth
- Overcrowding – if the teeth do not have enough space along the dental ridge
We use a variety of diagnostic tools to fully understand the alignment of your teeth and bite as well as determine the best treatment options for you. Some of these tools may include x-rays, plaster molds of your mouth, photographs, a dental examination, and a full medical history. If you have any of the above mentioned issues, it is quite possible that braces would be an excellent solution.
How Braces Can Help
Braces are one of the most commonly used type of orthodontic treatments for straightening teeth for both adults and children, which means they’re proven to work! Comprised of brackets, wires, and bands, braces move your teeth over time by adjusting the wires on a monthly basis. Here’s how you can typically expect the process to work:
- Consultation: First, your orthodontist will determine what exactly needs to happen to straighten your teeth (or if orthodontic treatment would even benefit you). Using diagnostic tools, your dentist will decide with you if braces are your best option.
- Planning Your Treatment: Everyone’s bite is different, so everyone’s treatment experience needs to be different as well. Your dentist will determine which teeth need to move where, and map out the different movements that need to happen to straighten your bite.
- Placing the Brackets: During this appointment, your dentist will need to thoroughly clean the surfaces of your teeth in order to securely place the brackets. This can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. They will then cement the brackets onto your teeth, placing them strategically according to your treatment plan.
- Insert the Wire: When all of the brackets are set, a horseshoe-shaped wire will be inserted through them, connecting your teeth. This wire is what facilitates the movement of your teeth, so it will be shaped to fit your mouth and your orthodontic needs.
- Adjustments: Once the braces are in place, you will need to visit the office once every 3-4 weeks to adjust your wires. This will allow your teeth to keep moving according to the orthodontic treatment plan.
Your dentist will teach you everything you need to know to take proper care of your braces. This may include avoiding crunchy foods and taking special care to clean them properly. Once your dental treatment is complete, they’ll simply remove the device so you can enjoy your new beautiful and healthy smile!
If you’re interested in obtaining a straighter smile with orthodontic care are in need of cosmetic dentistry or other dental care services, call our Oak Park dentistry offices to schedule your complimentary orthodontic consultation appointment!
How would you look with straight teeth? Invisalign®️ SmileView™️ simulates your new smile! Take a smiling selfie and we’ll show you what Invisalign®️ treatment can do for you.